Friday, November 4, 2011

Apple Season. We are smack dab in the middle of it.

Gala apple ready for picking, near Watsonville California.
When I first moved away from Upstate New York and went off to college, I experienced for the first time in my life a truly upsetting apple.  Or so I seem to remember.  I was in New York City, and I walked into one of any of the markets that carry beer, sushi and produce, and bought an apple.  It was waxed, and basically lacking in taste.  Then, a few years later, I moved to California and figured my apple eating years were at an end.  Oddly, this was well before that I realized how much I enjoy eating seasonally and locally.  I thought is was just about apples.

About a decade ago the local Safeway started to carry a variety of locally grown organic apples.  They were smaller than all the rest, but with out the glossy finish.  I decided to try one.  And they were good.  Then, a few years later, I saw some apples that arrived at the Farmer's Market that opened near my home.  Now I see them every where.  And I suggest that you go out and try some of these real apples.  Empire apples have finished off their season.  These are my favorite and one of the variety that was grown near my  childhood home.  Galas are on their second picking.  A picking that many folks feel is superior to the first.  Pink Ladies are just showing up the past few weeks.  And there are countless other varieties that are currently available.  Find some that you like and do not miss out on this fantastic fall treat.  And the nice thing about California apples is that the season can stretch throughout most of the winter and spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment